Swimming pool contractors can cut costs by:
1) A swimming pool contractors can cut corners by applying a thinner or less gunite (concrete) or the actual structure. The thickness of the gunite is VERY important and a swimming pool contractors looking to pocket money will do so in this area. As a state licensed swimming pool contractors we are liable of providing a lifetime structural warranty. So if your pool structure cracks, we are on the hook to fix it even if that means breaking out the pool and starting over. What good is that warranty with so many swimming pool contractors go filing bankruptcy and changing their name, leaving the homeowner with a night mare!!!
Another way a swimming pool contractors can cut corners
2) Less steel before the pool is gunited. I will try to get a hold of some sloppy photos of poor quality and post the photo. The steel structure is the strength of the pool. If a swimming pool contractors doesn’t supervise and the steel at the bottom of the pool is walked into the dirt, then concreted it will serve NO purpose. This step is CRITICAL to the integrity of the pool!
3) Less and smaller circulation units. Another way a swimming pool contractors can pocket money is for example, instead of putting two main drains or two skimmers, they can put one. One skimmer in today’s swimming pool industry is inefficient! Another thing, not seen by the homeowner is running smaller piping to save money. Instead of running 2″ plumbing, some will run 1.5″. 2″ will almost handle 2X the water column than 1.5″. This may not sound big but it is. If you don’t supply your pump with enough water not only will it take longer to filter your water properly but it will put stress on your pump/motor meaning more problems down the road!
4)Another way some swimming pool contractors cut cost is using cheaper/smaller pool equipment. For instance look up this filter number S166T and compare it to this filter CL580. You will notice a very big price difference in just one item!! Another trick is to install a 1 HP instead of say a 2 HP pump to save money. Not to mention a 200,000 btu heater vs a 400,000 btu heater. The list goes on and on.
5) Another way swimming pool contractors can cut corners is they will buy a couple of different cheaper tiles and give you a few choices to choose from. A good builder will allow you to choose whatever tile YOU would like. Some builders after having you sign the contract will make you choose a certain tile or will serve you an up charge.
6) The last example I will give is swimming pool contractors sometimes will PUSH you into going with a non-rectangle shaped pool, so that it is hard to calculate how big your pool is and what that company is stating. For instance, one swimming pool contractors may be bidding on a 600 ft.2 pool and another may push a shape that is very difficult to calculate and it ends up 475 ft.2. That is a huge price difference not only on the homeowners’ end but the builders end too. Some swimming pool contractors will not put how many ft.2 their pool is but instead put maximum dimensions. What good is that if a pool at the longest point is 35′ and the widest point is 16′ but the pool is shaped that those dimensions are very minimal. They may want you to tell other swimming pool contractors the pool is 16’X35’=560 ft.2 when it actually may be 410 ft.2.
The list goes on and on. I just listed a couple but make sure you don’t just look at a price when comparing swimming pool builder /s. Will your swimming pool contractors have your best interest in mind or will he/she have their own agenda first. Ask yourself is there price less expensive due to corners that will be cut so that in the end they will make more money. Great swimming pool contractors worries about their name and keeping their long term business operating instead of some short term sales. What good is a warranty if that swimming pool builder changes name or goes bankrupt, for you??
On top of the things listed a MAJOR point you need to look at which also reflects the price is the last point. Will your swimming pool contractors be there to not only supervise the job but know what they are looking at and step up to make sure not only the client is getting the best product but that there will be less/no problems for that builder. Or will you hire a swimming pool contractor that will be at your job when it is time to collect a check. Remember you get what you pay for.
We at Crystal Pools and Spas, will never base our philosophy on giving out low ball prices BUT rest assure we will give you ALL the attention your job requires, not just on pay day! We have been under our current name since 1984 since Jeff opened the doors and we will continue for the future, God willing!
Remember when narrowing down your swimming pool contractors,make sure that they don’t have it’s own interest most important but has YOUR interest as it’s most important!
More about Kevin Knott on Google+